- The UASB system is one of the highest efficiency anaerobic process available on the market. It is selected for POME treatment over conventional anaerobic lagoon systems because
- It offers the highest volume of anaerobic gas generated per m3 of POME
- Lower capital cost compared with other high rate anaerobic technologies (Liquid Waste Digester/ EGSB)
- The UASB system is expected, based on the feed water assumptions, to produce anywhere from 2 – 4 MWhrs of biogas continuously as it processed throughout the day. It is expected to remove approximately 85% of the COD in the post DAF wastewater.
- The UASB works by growing high density anaerobic granules which consume the organic material in the waste as part of a fluidized bed bioreactor.
UASB Flow Schematic